Soy Biodiesel: 10 Reasons Why It Can Save You Money
1. Biodiesel is EASY to make. You can even make biodiesel in your kitchen. If you can
make barbeque sauce, you can make biodiesel.
2. Biodiesel is BETTER than the diesel fuel you buy at the gas pump. Biodiesel is cleaner than regular diesel. It cuts down
on targeted emissions - which means its better for the environment and better for your health.
3. Biodiesel provides excellent engine performance. Your diesel engine will run better, cleaner and last
longer on biodiesel.
4. The production and use of biodiesel creates less carbon dioxide emissions compared to regular diesel. Causing less
damage to the environment.
5. The material for making biodiesel is renewable and biodegradable. You can make biodiesel from vegetable oil such as palm
oil, rapeseed oil, soy Oil, peanut oil, etc. You can even make it from used vegetable oil from restaurants.
6. Petroleum oil Prices are sky-rocketing. Biodiesel is just now gaining popularity. It is the best time for you to start
experimenting with biodiesel and if you know how to make it, then when biodiesel is in demand, you will be in a position to not only save money,
but also make money.
7. Biodiesel can be used by itself (B100) or blended with regular diesel in any proportions. So, when diesel is too highly
priced, like it is now, your biodiesel will be very much in demand.
8. No modification is required on your diesel engine. Biodiesel operates in conventional combustion-ignition engines, from
light to heavy-duty just like regular diesel and no engine modifications is needed.
9. Fossil fuels are depleting. Fossil fuel products have been used by mankind as a source of energy and it was assumed that
they would last forever. Times have changed: with fossil fuel on depletion and global warming on the increase, it is time to create a sustainable
10. Best of all is the GREAT feeling of freedom, independence and empowerment it will give you. Creating your own fuel in your garage, enough for
your own needs and friends, heating and/or cooling your house, and either saving or making a tone of money at the same time, well you know what I
OK, so how do you make biodiesel...?
Glad you asked. Biodiesel is most commonly made by chemically altering an organic oil through the use of a
catalyst and an alcohol, typically Methanol. The chemical reaction that occurs through this process breaks down the oil molecules and replaces
the glycerine portion of the molecule with an alcohol molecule. The glycerine falls to the bottom and is drained off resulting in
Biodiesel is known chemically as a 'fatty acid methyl ester'. Which is just a fancy way of saying it's a
product made from Methanol and an organic oil with fatty acid chains in it. It is easily made and has many benefits, including environmentally
friendlier tailpipe emissions and improved engine performance.
Biodiesel is actually very simple to make. You can make it in your kitchen -- and it's BETTER than the gas station diesel
fuel the big oil companies sell you. It is made by chemically altering the molecular structure of any organic oil through the use of a chemical
catalyst and an alcohol.
This is how to make Biodiesel...
To do this, oil is simply heated to a designated temperature (to help with the chemical reaction) and
then a mixture of catalyst and an alcohol are added to the oil.
The oil, catalyst, and alcohol mixture are then mixed for a period of time and then allowed to settle.
If successful, the chemical reaction between the oil, alcohol, and the catalyst will have broken down the oil into several
The top layer will be biodiesel, chemically called an Ester, the next layer may contain soap, and the
bottom layer will be glycerine.
Once the layering has occured, the glycerine and soap are drained off.
The biodiesel is then washed with either a mist-wash, or a
bubble-wash, or both. The washing is done to remove any additional soap, alcohol, or other
impurities in the biodiesel.
After it's been washed, it is then dried to remove any water.
Commonly it is then filtered through fuel filters and is then ready to be used.